Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hiking Again!

Young Women
On Tuesday and Wednesday I went back on the same hike I did a week or so ago. Only this time I went with these young ladies, I carried twenty five pounds and went three miles further over the course of two days.
River
This is the creek we cross as soon as we get out of the car. It was a wonderful hike, and I had such a fun time meeting the "through hikers" on the trail. We met two hikers who had been going for 36 days and had hiked 500 miles. That sounds amazing to me.

I suppose one other reason I am writing about this is that it was a personal accomplishment for me. Yes, I admit I'm out of shape, and I am thirty six years old. But I don't want to be...out of shape that is. I wondered if I could really do this. Especially that mile and a half of straight uphill...and I did...I made it! Without being a burden to anyone, or making them late, and finally without hurting. Yes, I do have sore muscles, but I'm great. The next challenge is to get in shape enough that I could do the 23 mile hike they send these campers on next year. I was proud of myself.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Rishi, You're amazing! Congratulations!

chchoo said...

Nice! You guys mean business in all the rain gear. Looks like a cool place to hike.

Anonymous said...

Good job! I love hiking! Beautiful scenery!

Dana said...

Those girls were lucky to go hiking with you. what a cool experience to see some of the thru-hikers too. The girl in the maroon shirt looks like one of your nieces. :)