
I am not a huge fan of instant oatmeal...except when it comes in those little packages that you take hiking with you. You know the ones I'm talking about. They are GOOD. I did a hiking trip this last summer and Goldie discovered that she liked them too. I shared the leftovers with her and Stuart who will eat anything. Josiah still wasn't too excited.
Since school started I've realized my breakfast repertoire was not as varied as I'd like it to be. So I asked Mike to buy some of those oatmeal packets from his store. He bought a box, but I felt so guilty because they were so expensive and besides I had a ton of instant oatmeal in our food storage that was free. Given to us a couple of years ago. I'd slowly been using it in our meatloaf, but it was way too slow.
Then I decided to look for copycat recipes and I found this recipe.
I tried it out this morning. Since I don't use coffee creamer I just used 1/2 cup powdered milk (more of the same free food storage - Bless you Lenora). I used less powdered sugar and added a tad bit of maple syrup. Finally, I didn't have the pumpkin pie spice so I just used a little of each of the spices I put in my pumpkin pie.
Goldie is who I was trying to please and she ate two helpings and with the store bought packets she usually only eats one. Stuart was the same way. Josiah ate more than I've ever got him to eat before and I think for him its still a "that looks like the other stuff, so I'm not sure" kind of a thing.
I am deeming it a big success. I love finding things like this that not only use our food storage but now cost next to nothing. What a great addition to our breakfast menus.
1 comment:
Yum! We eat instant oatmeal(the packets) at least once or twice a week. We usually only get maple & brown sugar and apple cinammon. I think it's pretty reasonable when breakfast is 20¢ per kid. But free is always better!!
Post a Comment